Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Spontaneous performances- bringing classical music to everyone!



I was so delighted by this post on the NPR blog, Deceptive Cadence. I am a big advocate of classical music...to the chagrin of my close friends and family. I'm so tired of it being looked at as boring or outdated.

This post talks about spontaneous performances taking place all over the world by opera troupes, orchestras, etc. I love the idea that people are bringing this music to the street level- making it accessible and alive for people who may not have ever given it a chance.

I know that when I was in high school, our choir traveled to a huge competition to sing. Some of the school performed classical choral pieces- and I was hooked. There is nothing like having your senses overtaken by a performance! I remember hearing a large choir sing T.L. de Victoria's "O Magnum Mysterium". I have loved that piece since then.

When I was in college I got to hear a real life orchestra for the first time and was dumbfounded. It was only a rehearsal...but I was nearly in tears.

When I sang with the Nyack College Chorale, I routinely found myself choked up. I remember one time in particular when we where practicing and a friend of mine went up to sing a solo. I had never heard her sing as I sat several rows away from her on the stage. She was a voice major and was very passionate about it. I'll never forget it- the piano started, and then Kathleen began to sing. Tears rolled down my face- I had never heard anyone sing like that...in the same room as me! The beauty of it was overwhelming.

I had several such experiences through college, and they have formed a love of this music that will last forever in me.

So, check out this post on NPR....watch the videos. I hope we see more of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment